Pages

Monday, November 16, 2015

SUNDAY RECORD SALE @ DATCHA

So last week I went to a record sale at Datcha in Montréal. Datcha is a sober, small bar/club situated at the limit of the Plateau, that has recieved amongst a fine selecion of local Djs Tiga, My Favorite Robot, Canblaster and even Aeroplane (which is pretty surprising when you see the size of the room). 
With a hazy mind and a small hole in my hair both due to the night out before I started looking around the records that were displayed on the couches that surround the room. There was nearly all the Turbo catalog (a Montréal label run and created by Tiga), a lot of white labels and promo discs, some cuts from a french label that I'm completely unable to remember and of course a section reserved to disco. 

My goal was to spend 20$ tops so I grabbed Roman Flügel's Stricher EP, Ida Eberg's Disco Volante, Leandro Gomez's Me Implica EP (totally unknown to me to this point but the review page seemed quite nice) and finally Searchin' (I Gotta Find A Man) from Hazel Dean. After waiting 15 minutes to access a turntable because the dude in front of me didn't understand that the "5 records each" sign in front of us meant 5 and not 5 + 5 records, I deemed my quite random selection pretty good. At this point I was very mentally tired and sad because I just saw someone grab the only R&S record and decided it was time to head home. 

20$ for five records is honestly a good deal, especially when you're a student who's just starting his vinyl collection. 

I'm not going to blabber on about the five records, here's a quick review of the one I preffered:

                                 
Roman Flügel's Stricher Ep is made of 3 (4 for the digital version) light "bleep techno" tracks, full of clicky drums and white noise. It sounds like Italodisco made by a computer, unpredictable and smart. Even though it lacks low frequencies this record can still lift a dance-floor if mixed carefully. 

A bon entendeur! 


No comments:

Post a Comment